A Day in the Life of Alexandra Palace.


Tell us a bit about yourself…



I’m 145 years old and live high above North London. As a park I’m pretty big, 196 acres of land with amazing wildlife, at the moment Peregrine Falcons nest in my tower! I’m of Edwardian heritage and have one sister called Crystal, she lives in south London. I love hosting parties such as the Brit awards, and the World Darts. I also have a boating lake, tree top zip wire and an ice-skating rink. There’s something for everyone!

 

When does your day start?

 

Sun rise. A group will gather to watch the sun appear acrossthe horizon. It starts as a small, sizzling, fiery red ball and then breaks into beaming sunshine, giving famous landmarks like the Shard a wonderful golden hue. Oh, and then the local bobbies start their daily beat.

 

You have your own policemen?

 

No (pause for light hearted laughter) that’s just how I describe the dog walkers. They all wear a uniform of well-worn boots and anoraks. They march round their same route at the same time, every day. The doggies sniff out anything that has changed from the day before.

 

What do you do for lunch?

 

Usually at the weekend I’m covered in women wearing floaty dresses, they land on my grass like giant butterflies. Little children are slathered in sun cream, and then the prosecco and picnics are opened. There’s crisps, carrots, hummus and pasta salad.


Sounds very nice

 

Yes, it is. But everybody has to watch out for the flies and the runners, both of them dart through groups without social distancing.

 

How has lockdown affected you?

 

By 5pm everybody that would normally be in a pub turns up. Groups of people bring booze and much cheer. It’s a great atmosphere. Music will play and punctuate their laughter.

It’s also quite common for people to order delivery food (as if I’m a restaurant!). It’s crazy, but waiters do actually turn up on scooters with boxes of pizza and curry. But….. absolutely nobody comes to clean up their imaginary tables once their meals are done. And I find that really disrespectful. Each piece of litter looks like a gaping plastic wound and hurts like one too.

 


Do you get some peace and quiet at night?

 

It’s a different tempo at night, for sure, more swooping and prowling around. Bats and foxes. And I have a ghost. A homeless man that sleeps in his tent all day, and only comes out at night when he feels safe with no other humans are around.

 

What does the future hold for Alexandra Palace?

 

Like everybody I’m feeling the strain from lockdown, I’m losing a lot of revenue from cancelled events whilst my upkeep costs remain the same, and I have an increased footfall coming through me. But I’ve survived a fire, hosted Queen Victoria’s birthday party and been a WW1 prison camp. Whatever comes my way, I will flourish.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cashing In